Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pay For An "A"?!

Schools participating in a controversial program that actually pays kids for good grades have seen a boost of nearly 40% higher points in math and reading scores. The Sparks program pays seventh-graders up to $500 and fourth-graders up to as much as $250 for their performance on a total of ten assessments.

Of the 61 fourth and seventh grades participating in the program, only 16 improved less than the citywide average gain in math since last year, while 21 did so in reading. Many school officials saw indisputable improvements- including more motivation and better focus.

More than 8,000 kids have collectively earned 1.25 million since the privately funded pilot program began, however critics argue that paying kids to work harder in school corrupts the idea of learning for educations sake alone.

The initiative, enacted for high-poverty schools, was created by a Harvard University economist, and is run out of the Massachusetts-based Educational Innovation Laboratory which aside from NYC, is conducting similar "cash-for-kids" trials in Chicago and Washington DC.

I'm not sure this is a good idea. I'm kinda torn on the whole issue. Will the money motivate greed as well as learning? What about self-pride and confidence. Has the notion of happiness from a job well done and good grades become archaic? It seems kinda sad to me. What do you think?

Where was this program when I was a poor, struggling inner-city child? What's next IRA'S and deferred comp programs for potty training?! Sheesh.

9 comments:

changetheworld360 said...

I'm back! Sorry for the hiatus.
I agree with you. As an aspiring Ivy League student, I take it for granted that I will have the sheer motivation to work hard and get good grades. So, paying kids to achieve more will only benefit in the short term. In the long term, they'll potentially lack the ability to motivate themselves. And like you mentioned, it might be teaching them to become too materialistic. I don't know. I'm torn as well.

Secret Squirrel... shhh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Secret Squirrel... shhh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
C. Louis Wolfe said...

Oooooooooo...I hate the mystery of deleted comments!

Who?, why?, where?, what? So MANY questions, so little time...mind racing-head hurts.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Welcome back CTW360- I didn't know what to think. I felt sad, lonely, & rejected.

I hope you enjoyed your hiatus. I'm ALWAYS glad when you agree w/me! :-)

Emma said...

I agree with you. At least, in part.

I don't think that the government needs to be spending taxpayer money on programs like this.

On the other hand, my parents always had a program like this for me and my brothers (ie: paying us for good grades) and I think it's a large part of the reason why I always pushed myself to get good grades.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Why dear Emma, even though I be nothing but a blogging stranger to you, you should ALWAYS agree w/me in WHOLE!
;`)

Actually I do understand the use of monetary motivation, except in my case, my mom would use toys, & later in life, women. And you know what?- I became a straight A student! :-)

Thomas Phillip said...

Well my first thought was that the government was tossing it's money out the window. Every one knows that your grades don't matter in 4th grade!

This is my take: Kids are not equipped with an inherent idea of learning for educations sake alone. That’s why they constantly ask why they are studding math, or if they will ever use a certain subject in the future. So if they start making money for their grades, they will equate their schoolwork to having a full time job. And in today’s society we are taught to go to school in order to get a high paying job, this system goes hand in hand.

And since this program is being implemented in high-poverty schools, will the kids end up supporting their families? Vary thought provoking, good job Wolfe.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

THANKS for the props on the post DB, you're much too kind, but please do continue...