Monday, June 1, 2009

PLUS or MINUS

I read in today's paper that, "due to the economy", most retail chains were discontinuing to carry larger or "plus sizes". I noticed this a while back while shoplifting in the men's section of my local Gap store. My first inkling that something was amiss, was my keen observation that the men's section had been down sized. When I inquired about that, I was told by (a male) employee that men as a whole, didn't purchase as much clothes as women did. I kinda scratched my head as I took a look out the window to see if there were any naked men walking around- I only saw one, and he had a bag over his head.

The next thing I noticed was they no longer carried XXL sizes. I'm a big dude at 6'2''- 230- and if an article of clothing (most likely a shirt) is gonna shrink a lot (like MOST Gap clothing), I'm gonna buy a XXL, because I WILL shrink it. I'm a man. When doing the wash (laughably) I'm able to shrink pre-shrunk, and I'm proud! I was told I could order larger sizes on-line. Dude, it's kinda hard to virtually try things on. I felt the store was sexist, and that I was being discriminated against! I told them they'd hear from my attorney, and I left.

In the real world (at least in the US) more often than not, people aren't slim. Will this refusal by stores to sell anything larger than a standard large size drive consumers away, making them furious, and eventually hurting business? Or will it motivate some people to make more of an effort to lose some weight and live healthier lives?

Me, I think I'm gonna have to stop at the Taylor in the morning.  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really aren't an XXL but I understand the shrinkage factor. I would say that you are average size compared to most men I know. I do live on the IL/WI border and we grow'em large here. So what are they going to do shrink their men's sections and their sizes. I see their profits shrinking too! Men need clothes too(I think).

Stefany said...

Sigh... Woman's clothing stores aren't much better. Most of the clothes are so darn tiny! Tiny enough to suit a 7 year old. What gives?

But this post IS about the gentleman. You need clothes as well... But don't tell Emile Hirsch that.

Anyway, that's the least of my concerns... Clothing PRICES are a whole nother story.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Oh, but I am SA! I'm still trying to figure out where however.
;^)~

Apparently us men are good for very few things. Seems fashion & not wearing clothing are a few of them. If someone actually saw me nude, the men's section would be even smaller or shut down completely. At least where I live!!!

THANKS so much for stopping by again. You must have got your GPS up & running again. Folks tend to get lost on their way here- might be on purpose though. ;`]

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Stef- purhaps I should go under-cover & buy a dress, & see what happens. But then I've gotta buy shoes, & a new purse, & a...

Whose Emile Hirsch?!
:-)

Anonymous said...

Naughty MAN!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

"Naughty MAN!" Me?! Perhaps SA, but I'll NEVER tell!
:^o

Frances said...

Hmmm...my dream world...all the men naked! (Is that a bad dream?)