Tuesday, June 9, 2009

When Nature Calls!

Bathroom, restroom, washroom, powder room, loo, crapper, lavatory, facility, potty, latrine, can, and toilet. These are some of the MANY names for locations to ease or relieve oneself.

Whilst sitting on the " ", in the " ", I considered this $h!tty topic of (self) interest and decided to do some research to enlighten myself, and perhaps if the fates allow, a few readers.

What is your desired location for this (hopefully) daily function? Me?, being of the male persuasion, I'm usually happy enough to locate a fortuitous spot on the side of the road, hopefully with some foliage as cover. Comfort however is also a major factor. I tend to bring some type of reading material with me in my interior to exterior search for enlightenment, besides it seems to be the ONLY place I'm able to multi-task!

"Loo"- A common term in the UK, apparently originating from the French phrase,
gardez l'eau. In the insanitary days of the 17th century, people in Europe- mostly the UK, would cry out this warning before dumping chamber pots from their windows onto the streets below. L'eau (water) eventually was Anglicised to "loo".

"Toilet"- The actual device used for action!
"Latrine"- A hole in the ground usually associated with camping or the military.
"Lavatory"- Formal UK term for toilet.
"Bathroom"- Room w/a bath &/or shower often joined to a bedroom. Usually referring to a home setting.
"Restroom/washroom"- A North American term generally used in restaurants and bars, as they sound more sanitary than toilet.
"Powder room"- A less common term used by the female gender in reference to restaurants, hotels, and theatres.
"Potty"- A generally juvenile term used by parents.

That my friends and foes was just another one of my crappy posts! Suddenly I'm feeling a bit flushed. I should probably sit down. :-)

4 comments:

vixen kitten said...

*snort* You're kidding right?

Girly girls don't do THAT. EVER. Never ever.

The angels come and evacuate me over night. :)

Seriously, Wolfe. What's wrong with you?

xoxo
~vk~

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Do I look like I'm kidding VK? What's wrong with me? Do you have a few days to kill? ;^)

Wandering Appalachian said...

You forgot that most European of terms, the "W.C.", or water closet.

Seriously, that's what's on the door of most lavatories in continental Europe.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

THANK YOU for making me aware of that,G, I was not aware. I learn quite a lot from commentors- & I appreciate yours.