Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Crazy Show

One man showed up at a federal building in Manhattan, asking for release from the reality show he was sure was being made about his life. Another was convinced his every move was secretly being filmed for a TV contest. A third believed that everything- the news, his psychiatrists, the drugs they prescribed- was part of a phony, stage set world with him as the involuntary star, like the 1998 film "The Truman Show."

Researchers have begun documenting what they dub "Truman Syndrome," a delusion afflicting people who are convinced that their lives are secretly playing out on a reality TV show. Scientists say the disorder underscores the influence pop culture can have on mental conditions.

The question is: Is this just a new twist on an old paranoid or grandiose delusion? Dr. Joel Gold a psychiatrist is currently collaborating with his psychologist brother on a scholarly paper on the subject.


This article by Jennifer Peltz (edited by me) was published in today's NY Post.




The article makes sense although this doesn't seem to be a major breakthrough in the life and times of crazies. Today with reality shows so prevalent and commonly accepted I'm not at all surprised. In fact I'm quite sure the line, as far as most media is concerned, has been blurred to the point where some people can't even tell the difference anymore between what's "real"and whats reality.

I think many people believe a great majority of what they see on TV- read in the paper or online. What some forget, at least as far as the Internet is concerned, is that the data being entered is being entered by HUMANS! Many of these people I believe are well intentioned, however they may not have all or any of the complete facts. Add to that- human error, fallacies, etc. which only add to the problem.

As a child, long before I had even seen "The Truman Show", I often imagined a big hidden camera in the sky filming me, as though my life was one big drama which it was and still is. Even now I occasionally find myself thinking that people, whether they be walking by, or in the cars passing by, are aware I may be on to them. Does that make me crazy, unstable, or mentally ill in some capacity? Well then, so be it. Lock my loony ass up! Actually I think it just makes me narcissistic and selfish.

Can we do another take please? I wasn't feeling that one. I'm ready for my close up now.

2 comments:

Stefany said...

That's interesting... and cool... in a way... but terrifying...

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Yes. Much like myself & my life.