Monday, November 3, 2008

Good Night Opus 11-02-08

Sadly another one of my favorite newspaper comics has come to an end.

The sweet, charming, and tubby little penguin named Opus, formally of the Bloom County strip, has retired to the greener pastures of news print heaven. There have been very few comic strips/panels that I have come to love as much as ol' Opus. Most of today's comics bore me. Many of them that have been around a long time feel antiquated despite attempting to stay hip and current. Two prime examples would be; Ziggy and Blondie. I'm sure there are several others that don't come to mind at the moment.

Most newer strips don't seem to convey the intelligence, sharpness and wit, infused with a bit of heart that I desire. It's very difficult to compete with two of my favorite classic strips of ALL time; The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes. These were brilliant examples of comic strip/panel perfection.

Unfortunately the creators eventually burned out and ended the series somewhat abruptly. I guess there's really no other way to do it. I can't imagine keeping up that level of creativeness day in and day out, including Sundays, for so many years. At least they ended while they were still on top and I believe that's the best way to go. You may alienate people and anger fans, but too bad. They should be thankful for the strips as long as they lasted. After all, they can easily purchase the published compilation books if they so desire.

This is exactly how Opus is bowing out. I was unaware the strip was ending. I actually only followed it on Sundays. To be honest, I'm not even sure if it was published daily. I'm most often aware of this kind of news, whether it's learning about it on the Internet, seeing it on TV or hearing about it on the radio, or some other form of media.

Although the strip and main character seemed sweet and innocent, the strip would often be anything but. The strip could be absolutely scathing, especially when it came to politics. It tackled current topics head on without apology, BUT it had heart, and that's I think what made it palpable for most people. It certainly wasn't for everyone. You definitely had to use your brain and think a bit. It wasn't one of those sweet sugary smooth going down kinda things.

The first hint of trouble was Sunday 10-26-08. I could tell something was wrong. The strip was somewhat vague, but it was pretty clear that something was up. Opus was gone from the county animal shelter. Where did he go?! I felt a cliffhanger of suspenseful magnitude had been presented and to be honest, I was a bit weary and afraid of what was to come. All week leading up to Sunday I had a feeling of diabolical dread. What was going to happen? Was it a bluff?, a publicity stunt of some kind, or perhaps it was a famous Hitchcockian "McGuffin"?

And then Sunday arrived. I opened the front door to see the Sunday Ledger innocently laying there on my walkway taunting me. I picked up the paper like a fragile newborn and removed the rubber band that was restricting it's movement. I carefully carried it upstairs laying it ever so gently on the chair as I prepared my coffee. I opened up the paper removing the comic section, placing it at the bottom of the pile as a delaying tactic. I slowly read all the other sections. I even clipped coupons. Then there was nothing left to read but the comics section.

I dilly dallied, reading my other favorites; Get Fuzzy and Non Sequitur. I even read the lame ones I rarely ever read. Eventually it came down to one. To Opus. It was three simple wordless panels, written and beautifully illustrated by it's very talented creator, Berkeley Breathed.

The final panel of the strip contained a small box that reads, "See the final panel at: HUMANESOCIETY.ORG/OPUS". I don't wish to give anything away. If your a fan, or even aware of the strip, go back and read the past few Sunday's strips. Then go to the website to see Opus's last and final panel. I'll simply say if you know of, or have read Good Night Moon, you'll understand. A very fitting, honorable, and respectful ending to an almost perfect comic. I quickly became misty eyed. My heart strings were tugged, warmed, and touched, much like a hug from Opus. Opus seemed to like hugging very much.

Berkeley Breathed (creator, writer and artist) had written and illustrated several exquisite children's books, including his most recent; Pete and Pickles which I have yet to pick up. I love children's picture books! I read that he will be solely focusing on producing more children's books and that's absolutely fine with me. If I have to lose Opus, at least I'm sure to be gaining some amazing books. Who knows. Perhaps one day Opus, he of the pudgy little penguin body, will return for a visit. Until then, Good night and good luck Opus. I hope you finally realize your wish for wings that work.

Good night Opus
And goodnight air
Goodnight noises everywhere!

No comments: