Monday, December 8, 2008

Come On 'N Zoom-Zoom-Zooma-Zoom!

I just received a two disc DVD set titled; "Zoom- Back to the 70's". Zoom was a TV show produced in the early seventies out of Boston Massachusetts, OH-2-1-3-4! It was televised on Public Broadcasting. If I recall correctly, it first appeared on TV in 1972, and ran for about five seasons. Each season starred new cast members.

As a young lad of................................well, as a young lad, this was one of my all time favorite shows on the idiot box or boob tube as it was known back in the day. That would be a TV set for all you youths tuning in to FLAST. I watched this show religiously! Basically, it was a group of kids who hosted the show. They sang songs, played games, profiled young viewers, etc. The cool thing was, most of the stuff on the show that they did was sent in by viewers.

I wanted to be on this show so badly, that I even sent a letter to the producers inquiring as to how one would become a "cast" member. I wanted to be a star! They actually sent a reply which basically stated; we'd love for you to audition, unfortunately you kinda have to live in the Boston area. I was naive. I was devastated!

Watching the show again after all these years brought a big ol' nostalgic smile to my grumpy old puss. Sure it was dated and corny, but as soon as I started watching, all my Zoom memories came flooding back! I may have forgotten the names, but I remembered the songs and faces, and for a little while, (at least 'till the DVDs were finished) I was that happy little boy watching his happy little show, when life was a bit more simple and happy. "Google it" and you'll understand the sunshine kids!

They say you can't go back. I say screw 'em! I did it for almost two hours pal!

2 comments:

Wandering Appalachian said...

Thanks for the compliments on my work! :)

I like some anime, but I'm not sure if I'm "into" it. I don't really go to cons or anything. I love the Miyazaki films! Do they count as anime?

Stefany said...

I always wanted to meet and visit Steve Irwin at his zoo in Australia. He was my childhood hero and Australia was where I always wanted to life (I've switched to Maine).

Well, I overheard some people talking and saying that Steve had died that day. For some reason, I laughed and blurted out "NO HE DIDN'T! WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT!?" to a bunch of little kids...

I found out later on that he did in fact die... how sad. He started my love of wildlife. I remember (as a young child) finding that there was a whole channel devoted to animals! I was amazed! And the first show I watched was The Crocodile Hunter.

My only hero I had ever had.

*well, that was depressing!*