Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Phone Call

I'm on my deluxe king size bed dreaming of sleep that doesn't come when the phone rings. I check the Caller ID (lovely invention) and I see it's my doctor's office calling. Oh shit!, I thought. I'm dying aren't I? WTF?! Why are they calling on a Sunday afternoon. I seriously contemplated not answering. Call me silly, but I'm not big on bad news, especially when it entails my health in a negative way.

After what seemed like several minutes, I grew a set and answered the phone. It was MY actual doctor calling. Not a nurse or health care professional of any kind, but the good doctor himself. He said hello and asked me how I was. I heard myself say "oh no!" out loud. He then proceeded to tell me that I had only three minutes to live starting from the first telephone ring!

Actually he said all my tests results looked good, and everything appeared normal (except me). I had to ask why he called on a Sunday to which he replied he was always working. Despite the initial scare, I think it's pretty cool that he took the time to call. I respect him a bit more as a doctor.

Calling me at home himself. That docs ol' school!

7 comments:

Stefany said...

Good to hear I'm not losing a blog reader!

Kidding, of course. I'm glad to hear your healthy and well enough to endure another holiday party.

Stefany said...

By the way:

STOP insulting Ohio! Cleveland is under-rated.

You know, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony is being held here next year? NOT New York?

*evil HAR HAR HAR laugh*

C. Louis Wolfe said...

You'll NEVER lose me Stefany!-creepy evil laugh-

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I would NEVER insult Ohio unintentionally! Har-Har yourself. ;^)~

PS- The induction ceremony is being held in Ohio because New Yorks' much too busy! Besides, they feel sorry for Cleveland & thought they'd throw them a bone. He-He-Ha!

Stefany said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR, CHRIS!

Stefany said...

P.S. Yes, I wish to see Last Chance Harvey (Hoffman, Thompson) as well. I love Dusty.

I've yet to see the other films you mentioned... They sound quite good, especially the one with Winslet...

By the way, I LOVE Midnight Cowboy! That movie sparked my love for Dustin Hoffman! *thanks for comments*

Unknown said...

Yep, the peppermint fudge turned out great. I was right to halve the amount of peppermint extract.

Cold is mostly gone, finally.

I forget what I was looking at in that picture.

I did read The Graveyard Book. I liked it a lot. I think it's one of the best things he's written. I agree, it feels like an inordinately long time to wait for Coraline the movie. I'm liking the boxes being sent to people though. Very clever and neat idea.

Cate is short for Catharine, yes.

My cats have already tried to get at the pendant. I think I need a shorter chain for it too.

If you have a good acupuncturist, it can definitely work. I pay for it through my FSA from work, so I get the money back. Many charge on a sliding scale (individual ability to pay).