Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Man on Wire

I recently viewed a newly released documentary via Netflix. 

The above titled film is about Frenchman Philippe Petits' successful crossing on a wire strung between the twin towers in 1974. I didn't recall the event as I was a preoccupied precocious eleven year old boy probably more into picking my nose and farting (sorry ladies) than some guy pulling a circus maneuver.

I had heard very good things about this film, but wasn't quite sure what to expect. I was curious to see how it could entertain an audience for one hour and thirty four minutes discussing one event. Well lads and lasses, I'm happy to report as far as the subject matter goes, it's a pretty damned interesting little documentary.

Thanks to Mr. Petits' well documented preparations, along with some recreations that did not take you out of the film, it almost seemed more like a suspenseful caper flick than a documentary about one mans dream and desire finally coming to fruition for one amazing event. Included on the DVD is an entertaining supplement. An animated adaption of a prize winning illustrated children's book about the event narrated by Jake Gyllenhaal.

2 comments:

Stefany said...

Oh, yes. I saw this at Hollywood Video but didn't bother to rent it.

I saw a man do this exact stunt at Niagra Falls... Not OVER the falls, though. Just between a couple of buildings.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Rent it Stef. I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. It's more than just a walk between two buildings. Besides, it's the Twin Towers!