Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Island of LOST Souls

I'm not one for watching much television. Effectively, watching TV is viewing season sets on DVD. I prefer to watch at my leisure and DVDs are conducive to that. When I'm really into a show, I'll find myself on the couch engaged in a mini marathon. It becomes a mission to watch the entire season as quickly as possible, finding the occasional moment to eat, sleep, and work.

I just finished such an engagement which was viewing season 4 of Lost. Six discs total, two of which contain bonus features. I currently own all four seasons available on DVD. Lost started out pretty strong, sucking me in after a few episodes. Somewhere in the middle it "LOST" some steam. After having just completed season 4 I have one word, and that word is WOW! As far as I'm concerned the show is back on top. Season 4 was very engaging. I had no idea where it was headed and couldn't wait to see what happened next. Rarely do I feel that way about a show.

The two generous discs of bonus features were very well done, including a "documentary" that was quite realistic. I know the show will be coming to an end in the next season or two. I'm hoping the creators end on a high note unlike another favorite show of mine- The X-Files. I just have to be patient and wait about a year for the most recent season to be released on DVD, and I'll STILL be a season behind. Money very well spent.


Speaking of lost and lost souls, it seems many of my friends are in this predicament, albeit in NJ as opposed to a mysterious island somewhere, although NJ can be awfully mysterious at times. I was out recently with a friend of mine and she was pretty depressed during the holidays. She's young, but has been through quite a bit for her age. I felt bad for her and did my best to use my wit, charm, and humor to cheer her up. I have another friend, great guy, just passed his mid-forties. He's a world renowned artist for the specialized type of work he does. He still lives at home with his elderly parents, has few friends if any besides me, and rarely leaves the house, choosing to work on his art instead of getting out and experiencing life. That's fine. That's his choice, although I know he's not particularly happy.

Another good friend of mine is on the cusp of Fifty, owns his own business and a few properties, having done quite well for himself at least financially. He's been dating the same woman for the past seven years. She's younger than he is and would love to marry him. He's been dragging his feet and can't seem to make the commitment. None of my friends are married which is fine as the statistics are not so good for that. I'm not saying there's anything at all wrong with them. I love them. They're good friends. They just seem so lost. And then of course there's me. 'Nuff said. Birds of a feather I guess.

Not truly sure What the point is of the second part of this post. I guess the title of the series made me think about my life and theirs. Fortunately our lives are not available on DVD. At least I don't think so.

1 comment:

Stefany said...

Yeah, my life could be made into a documentary as well...

I wish my parents were happier. They are very smart, bright people and could have accomplished so much if they HADN'T moved to America. They had no other choice than to work in factories. My mom had to work near a coal burning oven. She would frequently see mice... But she worked her way up. She has a good job now (thank God).

In Cro, my mom went to school for cosmetology but my dad didn't even finish his senior year in high-school since his father wanted to come here (job reasons and what not). So my dad came here (at 17) with his siblings and father. Much happened and my dad eventually went back to Cro and married my mom. They then moved here in '87.

The story is more complicated (so are their backgrounds).

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to live in an a more "American" household.

Ah, well. It builds character.