Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

I saw the above titled "romantic comedy" film a few weeks ago, and had meant to write up a brief review. I'm WAY behind in my Net Flix reviews. Almost overwhelmingly so.

It stars Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars?), Jason Segel (Freaks & Geeks-How I met your mother), Mila Kunus (That 70's Show-Family guy), and Paul Rudd (40 Year Old Virgin). It also stars a young British comic whose name escapes me, but he's pretty funny.

The film is produced by Judd Apatow (Freaks & Geeks-40 YOV) and many of it's cast members are the usual suspects in each others productions which I've never been a huge fan of as the subject matter is usually a bit difficult for me to relate to. Most of their films deal with sex, drugs, and alcohol, with the occasional brief moments of humor. OK, I'll admit I can relate to the sex part (briefly), but that's usually only when preceded by the alcohol part. The characters are mostly teens of which I'm loooooooooooong past the point of no return!

I don't mind romantic comedies at all, (yes- a guy wrote that!) if they're done well, which in my opinion very rarely occurs. Have they ever made a "romantic comedy" that caters to men? I think my all time favorite would be "When Harry Met Sally". Sure it's a bit dated, but I believe it holds up quite well.

Getting back to forgetting Sarah Marshall, is it a great film? No. Is it a (for the most part) funny and charming movie with lot's of heart, and a few moments that should have been edited out? Emphatically yes! I don't wish to give away much of the (simple) plot except to say it's about a guy whose TV star girlfriend dumps him for a famous rock star. The poor guy goes on a vacation (to Hawaii) to get his mind off his predicament, where he runs into his ex and her new beau.

Perhaps the film hit home because of the frame of mind I was in at the time of viewing. I found myself liking/hating the film at the same time. All I'll say is I didn't fly to Costa Rica. If I'm not mistaken, the film was mostly written by Segel. Towards the end of the film there's a (great!) Dracula puppet rock opera (don't make me explain-just watch it) that apparently Mr. Segel had always wanted to actually produce and because of the film was able to include it. The puppets used were produced by the Jim Henson Company of Sesame Street and Muppet Show fame.

The few people I've recommended this to, (mostly guys) have enjoyed it. It's worth a look. I give it three and a half burnt popcorn kernels out of five, and that's without the fake butter oil!

Did I mention the film also stars Mila Kunus?! Hubba-Hubba!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

The British comic is Russell Brand. He did a very naughty and mean thing a few weeks ago that got him into some trouble.

Stefany said...

^

Are you referring to his jokes on the Jonas Brother's purity rings? He made fun of them on some kind of ceremony. American Music Awards?
Russell can be a bit "out there" but he is alwasy entertaining and hilarious.

And attractive (to my 18 year old self).
-----------------------------------
Anyway, my chiropractor suggested this movie to me (yes, I have a male chiropractor and we discuss movies... not my physical health). He said it was a bit raunchy, but doesn't that make it a plus?

I don't necessarily like the romantic comedies, but When Harry met Sally was quite good. Love Billy Crystal.

Unknown said...

I'd forgotten about the Jonas Brothers thing.

He and Jonathan Ross made a prank phone call live on air at BBC, and it got way out of hand. I think one or both of them resigned from their radio shows.

Wandering Appalachian said...

The Dracula Muppets were the best thing about this movie.

I kind of (no, totally) wish that the entire movie had been the Dracula Muppet thing.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

THANKS for his name Cate. He does have a mean, naughty look to him doesn't he?

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Great,Just great! Cate & Stef have the audasity to come to my blog to converse w/o me! Oops. I hope I didn't interupt you two. ;^(