Thursday, December 25, 2008

Very Merry Melancholy

The Star Ledger 12/25/08

Today I read a very interesting article in the newspaper. I have taken the liberty of editing it, as well as paraphrasing it to suit my selfish needs.

Long derided as wimpy and a waste of time, nostalgia nonetheless often sweeps in at this time of year, settling in for the holidays. In calling up memories of people and celebrations past, it can evoke feelings buried by time and daily life.

Now psychologists are rethinking the purpose of that particular sentiment and are drawing some surprising conclusions. Depending on how it's embraced, they say, nostalgia can be a healthy emotion that buffers people from loneliness and eases them through hard times.

In a recent study published in the journal Psychological Science, researchers in China who have studied nostalgia worldwide concluded, "a person immersed in nostalgia can feel connected even when he or she is alone."

The study published in October, is the latest about-face that research psychologists have done on nostalgia in recent years. The sentiment has long been associated with an unhealthy emotional state. The term (nostalgia) is derived from the Greek word for "return" and "suffering", and has been defined as "the yearning to return to one's place of origin".

"Nostalgia has had a very bad name among psychologists and psychiatrists", says Krystine batcho, a professor of psychology at Le Moyne College in Syracuse N.Y. "The feeling was that, if you were nostalgic, you were trapped in the past".

- Shari Roan Los Angeles Times

Apparently you can go home again, if only in your head. 
See, I'm not completely insane! It's a place I visit quite frequently

12 comments:

tia-juana said...

Nostalgia gives credibility to our depression. Life is all about credibility.

Stefany said...

*sobbing* WHERE ARE YOU?

Howling at the moon, perhaps?

Steve said...

MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS

AND THE HAPPIEST POSSIBLE NEW YEAR

ALL MY LOVE

- Steve -


PS KISSES KISSES KISSES

Steve said...

This was WAY TOOO MUCH WORK

Stefany said...

Must be having a crazy Christmas...?

Well, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

My dear Tia- as always thanks for the cred!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I am here Stef, don't sob. OK, you can cry a little bit. Been a bit under the weather inside & out. Actually haven't been too motivated to blog. I have some drafts saved. Perhaps I'll work on them. Haven't felt very inspired nor creative lately.

No, no crazy Christmas. In fact this year it was kinda a non-Christmas. It went by so fast I almost didn't realize.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Merry Christmas to you as well Steve! May your '09 be EVERYTHING your '08 wasn't, In a good way I mean.

Love? OK.
Kisses, not only once, but three times? Oh I think not.

If you weren't so damn lazy it wouldn't seem like work to read your old friends blog, now would it?

tia-juana said...

you have been sorely missed!
wish there were better ways to keep in touch...

C. Louis Wolfe said...

How 'bout the phone? ;^)

I'm glad you miss me, but please don't be sore.

Stefany said...

I just got done making that one post and you already commented on it! Cool...

As for the vote, I'm just curious as to what others would do. I want to move to Maine and do film, but that would mean being quite poor and possibly not finding a good job.

GAH! I also don't know if I'm staying in the U.S. or not...

SO MANY DECISIONS!

My heart goes in many directions, I'm a gemini! I see the good and bad in everything. I have many interests... etc...

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Stefany- you make my head hurt! ;^)~

Sometimes it spins too!