Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Search For Virtual Wisdom

Speaking at the University of Pennsylvania's commencement, Google chairman and CEO Eric Schmidt told about 6,000 graduates that they need to find out what is most important to them- by living analog for a while.

He told the students, "turn off your computers. You're actually going to have turn off your phone and discover all that is human around us." Schmidt added, "nothing beats holding the hand of your grandchild as he walks his first steps."

Schmidt urged the college graduates to step away from the virtual world and enter the real one to make human connections.

Well said. I applaud you sir. Hopefully the rest of the world will take heed as well. Wait a minute, I'm getting a call & I have to finish and send out this email. I promise I'll get right back to you.

3 comments:

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Yet ANOTHER ignored & lonely post left to blow in the breeze! :-(

Stefany said...

Oh, you know that I ALWAYS comment on all yo' posts.

What a great idea that professor has! I never cared too much for technology. I know I could EASILY live without it. But most people in the 21st century depend on it. Tis a shame that children these days are not going outside as much and are becoming obese (and whatnot). They're listening to their little iPods whilst watching shows on handheld PSPs. They take pleasure from playing the Wii and surfing profiles on MySpace.

I think my generation is the last of the tech-less. Oh, early '90s.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

You're a WISE young-old woman Zetz! I just knew you'd side w/me.

THANKS for another one of your reliable comments.