Thursday, February 26, 2009

Anger Makes Me Mad!

Researchers say anger & other strong emotions can trigger potentially deadly heart rhythms in certain vulnerable people. Doctors at Yale University studied 62 patients with heart disease and implanted heart defibrillators that detect dangerous cardiac rhythms & deliver an electrical shock to restore a normal heartbeat.

Study patients were instructed to recount a recent angry moment or episode while the study team conducted a test that measured electrical instability in the heart. The team then followed the patients for three years to see who among them suffered from cardiac arrest.

The people who had the highest anger-induced electrical instability were 10 times more likely than everyone else to have an arrhythmia in follow up.

Although that's not surprising news, I find that study to be heart breaking and quite honestly it makes me furious. Considering my father, his brother, as well their father, suffered massive fatal heart attacks, I should probably cut back on the french fries & take some deep restorative & meditative breaths. However, in my favor I'm not a smoker nor much of a lush!

In light of this study, I'm gonna switch to an all-donut diet, cut down from a carton to a pack a day, and enroll in an anger management class despite that silly judicial order!

4 comments:

Stefany said...

Oh, how I love meditation.

I need it. I'm usually patient and what not, but I get mad very easily. A lot of things annoy the hell out of me... I'm mad just thinking about being mad!

Stefany said...

Hmmm, that didn't make any sense... Ah, well. I'm a walking contradiction.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Correct- That made absolutely NO sense. I'm glad your aware of that Stef. They say that's half the battle!
:-)

C. Louis Wolfe said...

PS- Don't be so angry.