Monday, February 9, 2009

"It Was Twenty (& More) Years ago Today......................

Growing up I had an older sister who turned me on to the music she would often play around the house. She was a classic "teenie bopper", and as this was the late 60's, early 70's, much of the music she listened to was produced by groups like, The Beatles, The Monkees, Herman's Hermits, and bubble gum music of that ilk. She'd be-bop around the house, and I grew to love those tunes as it was drummed into my head during my early formative years. She brain washed me I tell ya! 

I apparently took to drumming quite naturally. It was the perfect instrument for a kid ensconced in ADHD, before it became trendy & hip! As I became more proficient at drumming, I would often play along to the records laying around. Most of these albums (do you know what these are kids?) were by The Beatles, and that's basically how I learned to play drums, and to develop a love and devotion for The Beatles, albeit mostly early stuff. I even eventually joined a Beatle sound-alike group. We were pretty good for our age, obsessed with figuring out how to play our instruments exactly like them. We even played the same type.

Eventually I kinda grew away from The Beatles as I became aware of the many bands and types of music beyond The Beatles that existed in the world. Even up to recently, though still a big fan, I had lost some interest in their "dated" tunes. Then the other day I popped in the first DVD (1 & 2) of the 10 part Beatles Anthology that was released back in '02. I've had it sitting on a shelf, always promising myself I would eventually watch it. Well that blessed day had come my friends! So far I've watched discs 1 through 8, with just the one disc of special features left to view. Each part is a little over an hour. I have to say I've embraced Beatlemania once again! The anthology is an amazing documentary which is very informative and quite candid, with tons of behind the scenes information. Ah, so that's what really happened..........................

Without even realizing it I had just started watching it just prior to today's anniversary. Today is the 45th (WOW!) anniversary of the Beatles arrival in America. During that time they played The Ed Sullivan show twice, as well as a gig in Washington DC.

My fanship has been restored! I love them YEAH-YEAH-YEAH!

6 comments:

Zany said...

I also enjoy listening to the Beatles. Regarding their anniversary, it's almost like you and the Beatles are meant to be :).

I btw ended up answering your question regarding my avatar on my blog. Don't know if you got a chance to read it.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Come on Z, The Beatles are actually MUCH older than me, but they do phone on occasion to say hello, so I suppose your right.

Stefany said...

Beatles are great. I listen to them on a regular basis...
Have you seen that movie about that Chapman guy who shot John Lennon? Let's just say he was an interesting... fellow.

Sigh, Lennon was a great man. Do you remember the day he was shot in '80?

P.S. The Doors are still my favorite band. Jim Morrison was in a class of his own. Oh I could go on and on and on and on and on...

C. Louis Wolfe said...

You gotz good taste Stef! Yo' coolio! I remember that sad day well. I was in (yikes!) high school!

If I saw the same movie, it was starring the actor, (can't recall his name) who gained weight for the part. He was in that drug movie you like w/Jennifer (yum) Connelly. Written & directed by Darrin Aronofsky who did a wonderful job w/The Wrestler.

By the way, Jim says hello. He faked his death & has been living w/me recently. In fact he's standing by as I type this. He's flattered by your words.

Stefany said...

Yep, I believe he faked the whole heroin overdose thing... Him and Pam are living together in France somewhere...

By the way, the actor's name is Jared (yum) Leto.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I already told you he's hangin' w/the wolf, girlie! Now break on through to the other side!

Yes Jared Leto- thanks Stef. Is his middle name really yum? No wonder he went w/Jared.