Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I'd Like To Thank The Academy

It's pretty much old news by now, especially for you movie fans, but I wanted to bring up the annual Academy Awards show. I was STUNNED when I realized this was the 81st Academy Awards presentation! Sadly, that's less than TWICE my age. I'd like to say it's MUCH more than that, but that would be lying, and lying is wrong, and as most of you are aware, I NEVER lie.............................or do I? ;^)

This years show was panned by critics as one of the worst & most boring in recent years. Surprisingly, (to me) I thought it was one of the better shows. Sure several of Hugh Jackmans musical numbers were somewhat trite & corny (again, to me), but for the most part the show kept me entertained during it's 20 hour presentation. Jackman showed he had other talents besides his acting chops. I think most people are unaware of his singing & dancing abilities.

I think the audience (actors & actresses) were glad to see a peer hosting, but what do I know. It was nice, (although I'm not much of a fan) that the Academy honored Jerry Lewis for his work in the entertainment industry, as well as his humanitarian efforts. Whether I like him him or not, I respect the contributions he's made in both area's. I was surprised by the small contingency of protesters against his tributary honor.

Regardless of whether or not you felt Heath Ledger deserved a posthumous best supporting actor award (& there was plenty of controversy), I thought he did a fine job in The Dark Knight, and it was nice that his father, mother, and sister accepted the award on his behalf, dedicating it to his daughter Matilda (love that name by the way). I was surprised that Michelle Williams was not up on stage as well, but I'm sure she had her reasons.

Just in case you did not view the show, nor read the results in the newspaper etc., I'm gonna list the achievements for any who may be interested. There weren't many surprises, and Slumdog Millionaire pretty much swept the awards show as I predicted, and for the most part agreed with the wins. To quote Heath Ledger as the Joker in TDK- "And here we go"!

BEST PICTURE- "Slumdog Millionaire" (pretty much deserved)
BEST ACTOR- Sean Penn, "Milk" (somewhat political speech- thankfully kept to a minimum)
BEST ACTRESS- Kate Winslet, "The Reader" (have not seen film- deserved- it's about time!)
DIRECTOR- Danny Boyle, "SDM" (amazing multiple genre director)
SUPPORTING ACTOR- Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"
SUPPORTING ACTRESS- Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY- Dustin Black, "Milk" (first timer?)
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY- Simon Beaufoy, "SDM"
ANIMATED FEATURE- "WALL-E" (big surprise-NOT!)
BEST DOCUMENTARY- "Man on Wire" (Great!)
ART DIRECTION- "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
VISUAL EFFECTS- "Benjamin Button"
SOUND MIXING- "SDM"
CINEMATOGRAPHY- "SDM"
ORIGINAL SCORE- "SDM"
ORIGINAL SONG- "Jai Ho," "SDM" (Meh-not many song choices this year)
FILM EDITING- "SDM"
SOUND EDITING- "TDK" (Hooray!- One's better than none)

Surprised & a bit disappointed "The Wrestler" did not fare well.


HIGHLIGHTS:
-Kate Winslets speech- "Let me tell you, winning is a lot better than losing. A lot better."

- Ben Stillers hilarious parody of Joaquin Phoenix's recent silliness!

-Heath Ledgers family accepting his best supporting actor award.

15 comments:

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I know, I know, Stef. ANOTHER long post....sigh. I suppose I need an editor.

Unknown said...

I seem to recall that Hugh Jackman got a lot of press when he did "Oklahoma." The critics were impressed, especially as he had just become known as Wolverine, so to take such a left turn and do a musical was a big risk, but he turned out to be really good at the song and dance thing.

I was also surprised at the protest to Jerry Lewis' award. Do they know nothing about the Labor Day telethons? He's been doing them every year since way back in his Martin and Lewis days. If it weren't for the money he raises, all the people with muscular dystrophy wouldn't have access to the treatments and care that they do.

And he looked pretty good too. I remember the one year when he was on medication for something or other, and he was so bloated from it you could barely recognize him on the telethon, but he was determined to go on anyway.

Thomas Phillip said...

I must say this years presentation was the best EVER. The sets were not gawdy like they typically are, the presentations for each category were unique and gave the Impression that each film was a winner in it's own right. I like that. Plus Hugh Jackman is more than just a movie star, he's a boy from OZ!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Yes, Cate- Surprisingly I thought JL looked good too- especially for his age. I'm not sure if you noticed but he made some funny faces at the end- not sure if he was channeling silly classic Jerry OR if that was an old guy-denture slipage thing? I didn't realize he was doing the MD thing as far back as the 50's!

Yeah- knew about the Jackman skills- thought MOST people only knew him for Wolverine-SNIKT!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

DB- Boy from OZ was the Peter Allen bio show, correct?

Wandering Appalachian said...

I liked Jackman, but I hated, Haaated the way they did the in memory segment. The swooping cameras and stuff made it nearly impossible to make out the pictures of the people who had passed, let alone read their names.

tia-juana said...

I love the name Matilda, and I'm fond of Fiona, too.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I agree Gwennie- It was quite difficult to follow. You say you hated it, but I think your holding back a bit. Did you dislike it as well?

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Tia- You only say you like the name Matilda because I like it.
;-)

As far as Fiona, I only like her apple!

Stefany said...

No Wolfe... this post is ACTUALLY interesting, so it's all good!

*kidding*

I COMPLETELY agree with Gwennie. The "in memorium" segment was all over the place. I thought I was the only one annoyed by it... I looked like my cat watching the T.V...

Also, Jackman previously did a song and dance for the Tonys...

And, I'm glad Jerry Lewis got the award. Some may say he's a racist homophobe, but I just want to focus on his GOOD qualities and not get into his personal life TOO much...

Besides, his movies always cheer me up.

P.S. Read my dream if you haven't!

changetheworld360 said...

Great summary. Don't worry about the length! Seriously, you should see my posts. They're always too long-winded; I'm trying to work on being more concise.

Stefany said...

I forgot to mention, you included the infamous

"meh"

in your post!

Ha, ha! And you used to taunt me about it...!

You shall now admit defeat.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I plan to read your dream Stef. Was it about me? If it was, it was probably a nightmare! ;-)

Now I don't think I wanna read it.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

CTW360- I DO see your posts & they're fine. The problem is Stefs ALWAYS yelling at me & complaining mine are too long. She's just lazy & jealous that my posts are infinitely more interesting than hers! NA-NA!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

You know this means WAR Miss Stefany *slaps face!*
Like Bugs Bunny, I shall NEVER admit defeat!

Besides silly girl, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Take that to the bank & try & cash it!