Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Down The Road

This past weekend I saw another film I've been wanting to see for quite some time. This film was "Revolutionary Road", starring Kate Winslet & Leonardo DiCaprio. It was directed by Kate's husband Sam Mendes, best known for "American Beauty".

I really wanted to like this film, most people seem to. Once again I felt let down. I'm starting to think perhaps I'm being over critical of the films I've been viewing lately, I don't know. Yes, the subject matter/story was sad, but I know for the most part that had nothing to do with what I felt about the movie. I happen to like sad movies. They make me HAPPY! Well, the meds also help. :-)

This may sound strange to those of you who've seen it, but the acting and dialog seemed a little heightened to me, if that makes any sense. It wasn't necessarily over the top, just not quite "accurate". Perhaps because of the time period the film takes place. Please don't make me explain. I'm not even sure myself .

The highlight of the film for me was the character (I can't recall his name) played by Michael Shannon who is the schizophrenic son of an older couple (Kathy Bates as his mom in a small role). He's recently been released from a hospital & they've brought him for a visit as he's about Kate's & Leonardo's characters ages. Although he doesn't have the ability to filter properly and reason before he speaks, he's the only one who speaks their mind (bluntly) about what he sees around him. Sounds like me to some degree. I'd love to have a beer with this guy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There's a great quote: Sad is happy for deep people.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I am quite deep Cate. ;-)

Where is that quote from may I ask?