Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My NETFLIX Nights

Every once and a while I view a movie (I know very little about) that takes me completely by surprise. This particular film is Changeling. Staring Angelina Jolie as Christine Collins a strong but quiet single working mother whose son is apparently kidnapped when she agrees to cover a co-workers shift at the telephone company. I feel Jolie is one of the few current actors who's a true (old school) movie star in every sense of the word. Actually that's two words isn't it. She's both beautiful, graceful, and can usually & pretty much consistently act her ass off.

The film also stars a subtle John Malkovich as a crusading reverend who mistrusts and constantly challenges the LAPD through his radio show and the pulpit. Jeffery Donovan plays the part of a misguided and corrupt LAPD captain.

This is the first film in recent memory (aside from The Wrestler) that I've grappled emotionally with. Once this film took a hold of me, I was completely in! Rarely does a film strike so many emotional cords. I was angry, frustrated, heartbroken, elated, & I'm sure a few others that don't immediately come to mind. This film exhausted me! These are the films I live for. I don't care if it's good or bad emotions it plays on as long as I feel affected. THAT'S what I expect for my (rarely hard earned) $10.00!

When I review a film I try not to give away or rehash the plot which I'm sure most of you know by now. I'm usually only concerned with how it affects me. It's a VERY powerful thing when something as seemingly simple as a film affects you long after the lights have come up, you've relieved yourself after drinking too many liquids, and are settled in at your abode.

The film is directed by a very gifted Clint Eastwood, a classic Renaissance man. I'm so impressed with people who can wear so many hats & are talented in all the types of hats they wear. He's an actor of much notoriety, a writer, a musician, as well as a respected film director. I've not liked everything he's either acted in or directed, but I respect him a great deal.

The film is a period piece which is based on true events. The sets, costumes, and art direction are simply amazing. If you've not yet seen this gripping film, gettest thee to your blockbuster, brick & mortar store, or what have you, and view it. I think you'll be glad you did.

One final thing, aside from the deplorable police corruption, pieces of the film reminded me of another fine film set in LA involving the LAPD & that film is LA Confidential- if you enjoyed that, you'll probably dig this flick as well. Now shut up & pass the popcorn!

6 comments:

Zany said...

I haven't seen this movie yet, but your review made me want to watch it. I agree, there are not many movies out there which have the gift of shaking up our emotional core. "Revolutionary Road" did that for me.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Well Hello there Z- I saw RR the other night & as much as I love the actors- specifically Winslet, it just didn't do it for me. I think when films get so hyped, I'm bound to be disappointed when I finally do see them. Changeling was much better. Perhaps being alone in the quiet of my hovel made a difference?

Stefany said...

I absolutely love period-piece movies. They are usually my favorites (L.A. Confidential is MY kind of movie).

That said, I like Jolie as well. She's a different kind of Hollywood star. Sure, she has the glamour and looks and... Brad Pitt. But she is a unique individual and a humanitarian. Also, I LOVED her in Girl, Interrupted. Interesting movie...

As for Clint Eastwood, amazing director and actor. Have you seen Million Dollar Baby? I saw it a few years back in theatres... what a heart-wrenching film.

Someone else I must mention... John Malkovich. Not a big fan of his, but I'll still see the film (of course).

Stefany said...

You didn't enjoy Revolutionary Road? Too bad, that film really changed me. You really had to FEEL that movie as opposed to just watching it with a bag of popcorn...

That film really sealed the deal for me when I was deciding on what to do with my life.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Million Dollar Baby was good film. Just a good film. I think It appealed more to men & it seemed a little emotional manipulative.

JM's cool in a lot of stuff. Have you seen "Being John Malkovich"? VERY strange, but cool. Like yours truly!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I'm glad RR made such an impact on you Stef. How do you feel it affected (or is it effected?) your life?

I actually did enjoy RR. I had wanted to see it so much & the hype was so great, I don't think it could ever have lived up to the expectations I had for it, & I didn't even have a bag of popcorn! ;-)