Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Excuse me, but you seem to have something on your forehead...

Before I go any further, I'd like to stress that I'm a BIG believer in God & most things spiritual. That said, I'd like to share one of my silly gags I conduct on this day (Ash Wednesday), usually at work. Don't worry, it doesn't involve blood or 666! Perhaps I should start at the beginning...

Many years ago, during one particular day at work, I noticed one of my co-workers walking around HQ's with a dark smudge on his forehead. Being the thoughtful & conscientious person I am, I brought it to his attention. He scowled at me as he informed me it was Ash Wednesday.

OK, so noted. I'm not Catholic, but I certainly respect other peoples religious beliefs (albeit Satanists) even if I do not agree with, nor follow them. I'm a personal spiritual type guy that faded away from organized religion many years ago, although I do believe it has it's place, ESPECIALLY these days.

Anyway, my shtick is to approach those I see with the black smudge on their forehead as I pretend to lick my hand like your mom did when you had dirt on your face as a kid. Who knows, perhaps she still does it. Ah, Silvia. Natures Spic 'N Span or Mr. Clean if you will. Most people I do this to think it's somewhat funny &/or mildly amusing. Alas, the guy who punched me in the head apparently did NOT! Ouch! Nothing permanent I hope.

As an ending anecdote, one of our civilian African American or black employees was in the hall, & as I passed by she said I bet you can't see the ash on my forehead. SHE said this & with a smile, so please don't think me racist. I nearly peed my pants as I LOMAO walking back to my office.

Boy, I sure hope God has a sense of humor!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's too bad Lent is all about giving things up. Why can't it be about doing something good instead? It's such a depressing time, especially now. Why not do something that has more positive connotations?

My college roommate was going to give up candy for Lent one year, and I told her God was probably up in heaven munching from his bag of jelly beans saying "hon, even I wouldn't do that!"

The best description I've ever heard for God is "good orderly direction."

Stefany said...

I didn't know that people actually place ash on their foreheads today... Sigh, and my family ridicules me about researching Buddhism. My dad yells, "We're CATHOLIC and that is it!" Right. I've only been in a Catholic church ONCE in '04 and that was for my cousin's wedding...

I still believe there is SOMETHING/SOMEONE up there lookin' out for me.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Good Orderly Direction? I like that Cate. Is Ash Wednesday part of lent? Isn't that the past tense of loan? Should I be loaning out my lent brush, for people that have a lot of lent on their clothing?

Once again, I'm TRULY hoping God has an amazing sense of humor....for personal reasons of course!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Stef, wasn't that the time we got lost & I told you to go in the church to get directions? If I recall, as you were exiting you burst into flames. You were hot!
;^)

Sweet Sef, we're all looking out for you, sometimes...ocassionally..once in a while..possibly the third Monday of the fifth year.