Tuesday, March 24, 2009

For The Texting Impaired

I'd like to share a humorous tale with you, however I'd like to preface it.

Although at rare times a blatant hypocrite, I'm not a big fan of texting. While I understand it's purpose & questionable necessity in today's often hectic world, I think it's become one of many tools that are (I feel) depersonalizing & isolating society from itself. I find it quite ironic that it's intent is an additional option of communication.

One of my short films I plan to be shooting soon is of an unhappy husband & wife. Whilst sitting at the dinner table they become involved in a heated discussion, also known as a fight. The entire fight is communicated via texting although they're sitting across from each other. The texts appear as subtitles.

OK, onto the humorous story & one of MANY reasons I'm anti-text. I'm sitting there attempting to type out a text with my big Snausage fingers. About two hours later I've finally typed out the entire sentence & press send. That was easy! Within moments I receive a response. That was fast, I thought. I excitedly & with great anticipation open the text to find.......I had sent it to myself INSTEAD of the intended recipient. DUH!

Sadly, I'm pretty sure this has happened to me on at least one other occasion- who's counting. Yes, such a buildup & roundabout way to get to a very minor silly occurrence, but I thought it was absolutely hysterical! And that my friends is why I try to keep my fingers to myself. I think I'll leave the texting to more talented talons or teenagers.

10 comments:

Stefany said...

That sounds like a pretty funny short-film, film-short! Will you post it on here? When you figure out how to, of course... And where is the website to your band?! Have you broken up ALREADY! GAH!

By the way, I can't text either... I think I did the same thing as you, actually. And I'm part of the "YOU MUST HAVE A MYSPACE AND KNOW HOW TO TEXT... OR DIE" generation.

annieb165 said...

i send texts to the wrong people too...not so much myself...usually to someone much more inappropriate and awful :/

http://i35.tinypic.com/2rpzgnc.jpg

C. Louis Wolfe said...

All in good time Zetz- all in good time.

Be part of the LIVE generation Stef! Stand apart- alone if you must. Fight the power, 'cause that's how you roll!

Wandering Appalachian said...

I'm so bad at texting. I'm not much on IM'ing either. I'm so behind!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Welcome B132!
THANK YOU for your comment from across the pond as they say.

Inappropriate & awful can be good when supervised by a responsible 3rd party! Be careful!!! ;^)

Cheers!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Seems like we are like-minded, ability wise G! I prefer actual voices in either a face to face or phone call.

annieb165 said...

Thanks for your comment!! Yes I am enjoying blogger thanks! Still trying to get used to it though.

Yeah it's kind of late here, 11pm...we're only 4 hours ahead of NYC, I know that!

I loved reading your interests - I agree I think there's a lot of agreement there!

You're a drummer? I love drummers and I agree you're always overlooked! First guy I look at in a band is the drummer, they're always the good guys ;)

And i do like cops but only NYPD cops - no idea why! I just find them appealing...

Anyway, thanks again for your comment - really appreciated!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Thanks for commenting on my comment B132! :-)

NYPD cops??!! I tend to be partial to NJ cops, er..I mean partial to me!

Do you always wear Peanut Butter sandwiches like that. It's kinda like a new age mask for a serial killer, although it would be difficult to find your victims w/such little eye holes- not to mention the birds & squirrels pecking at your face! ;^)~

vixen kitten said...

Did I just ask you if you text? I read this post tooooo late!

Neber mind *shy smile*

~vk~

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Ah, there you are VK-Just so you know, NEVER on the 1st date! & there you have it ladies & gentlemen.