Monday, March 2, 2009

The Listening Post

Under the title of this post I hope to occasionally review &/or reflect on a CD or song that I am currently (possibly obsessively) listening to.

Today I'm writing about the recently released, "The Annie Lenox Collection". Her songs have usually been hit or miss with me. I prefer her solo stuff as opposed to her stint with The Euryhmics, although I do enjoy a few of their songs as well.

I've been waiting for a collection of her songs for many years now and for the most part I'm happy with the selection. Based on some reviews I've read, a few songs that should have been included were left off for unknown reasons, perhaps for a future volume 2?

I must admit I'm only familiar with the songs that were "hits" and played more often on the radio. Sometimes I miss the 11 hour days of toolin' around in the ol' squad car. I got to hear quite a bit of music in those days, and was much more aware of the current bands and music. Sadly I rarely listen to the radio, tending to listen to Cd's. I don't own an ipod, or some such gadget, and prefer to listen to music while driving as opposed to listening at home.

So far my favorite song off the disk is No More "I Love Yous". Sing along if your so inclined- I dare ya.

I used to be a lunatic from the gracious days
I used to be woebegone and so restless nights
My aching heart would bleed for you to see
But oh now...(I don't find myself bouncing home whistling buttonhole tunes to make me cry)

No more I love yous
The language is leaving me
No more I love yous
Changes are shifting outside the world

(The lover speaks about monsters)

I used to have demons in my room at night
Desire, despair, desire, so many monsters
Oh but now...
(I don't find myself bouncing home whistling buttonhole tunes to make me cry)

No more "I love yous"
The language is leaving me
No more "I love yous"
The language is leaving me in silence
Changes are shifting outside the world

- Annie Lenox

Aside from the obvious, I'm not exactly sure what the song means, being left to the listeners interpretations I suppose. And then there's the common, I'm not sure what the lyrics are so I'll guess, or think they're something else. Such is the part where she sings, "The language is leaving me". I thought it was, "And then just leaving me". I of course happen to like mine better! ;-)

3 comments:

Stefany said...

I absolutely loved the song she did for The Lord of the Rings. Into the West... right?

Oh my God, what an amazing song. Her voice is... is... I don't even know. Surreal. I love watching her perform. Simple, yet magnetic and captivating.

Stefany said...

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I can't get enough of those films...

Sam is my favorite and the most like me. That is why I call L.I. Mr. Frodo and she calls me Stefwise Gamgee. I'm basically her loyal side-kick.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Yeah, but do ya like it?! ;^)

I'd pay to see you two together carrying on w/all your silly shananagans!