Monday, March 30, 2009

There Goes The Neighborhood!

I reside (cemetery notwithstanding) in what people call an affluent town. Sure there's plenty of snobs here, but some decent people as well. There are many middle-class homes in surreal suburbia, & If you walk just a few steps your suddenly surrounded by mansions, also known as "McMansions". That description tends to annoy me, not because I don't live in one, but because it's just a stupid silly catch phrase that I didn't coin- I mean whose gonna eat a big house anyway?! That's just stupid.

We have a relatively low crime rate, but that's 'cause I'm on the job! Most crimes that occur here are burglaries, thefts, & assaults, as well as (sadly) many domestic violence situations. We've had a few murders in my 25 years as Johnny Law, but we are most well known for the List murders in 1971. A man named John List shot & killed his mother, wife, & three children. He was on the lam for many years before being captured while under a new identity. His capture came about via the TV show, America's Most Wanted.

Aside from law & order, my little burg is known for being the birthplace of Charles Addams- famous cartoonist & creator of The Addams Family. If you recall the TV show ED from years ago about the bowling alley lawyer, that was shot here with my town substituting for the fictional town of Stuckeyville Ohio, but I've got to reel this baby in as I've gotten waaaay off topic!

Taking the long way around, (as I oft times do) this post was originally intended to be about how in the last few months we've had an armed car jacking right around the corner from my digs, & just the other day a house across the street from mine was burgled (allegedly) by a well greased operation known in several states as "The James Bond Gang". I don't know what's happening to the fantasy bubble that is my town. Perhaps there's been in escalation in crime due to the economy. They speculate that the recent rise in bank robberies is due to our current economic climate.

Living approximately 35 to 40 minutes outside NYC has never seemed to be a problem before. Actually the city's big enough that I don't think crimes gonna head west to the nooks & crannies of this place. I hope this is not the beginning of a trend or crime wave. If it is I may have to move to Cleveland. Wait, that'd (is that a word?) be MUCH worse!

6 comments:

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I know what's comin' Stef, don't hate the hater- Just teasin'!! Ya knowz I lovez (as a cyber-friend) YE!

annieb165 said...

Stuckeyville?!!! That's so cool!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Come on Bubbs, don't you think it's time you took that sandwich off your face to reveal your true identity?!

Unknown said...

I tend to call them mansionettes.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I'll take that Cate & raise you an estate & gated community- ALL IN!

Stefany said...

You and your teasin'. Tisk, tisk, tisk.

Okay, okay Wolfe. There hasn't been a drastic downtown shooting in, what, 2 weeks? Give us that, will ya! Sheesh, this isn't Detroit...

AND, we have the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony going on this weekend! Not that that relates to crime... but I just wanted to brag. It's about TIME Cleveland has the thing back from PRECIOUS New York...

Hooray for positive news involving Cleveland!