Friday, March 20, 2009

Pretzel Logic

Over the years friends, as well as practitioners of the dark arts of medicine, have recommended I give yoga a try. I've always stubbornly (as is my way) declined as I felt due to my existing & often exciting ADHD, I'd be unable to truly benefit from it as I find it difficult to relax & clear my constantly racing mind.

I also have to admit avoiding it for fear of feeling or looking silly, which I most likely do no matter where I am. I'm also not very flexible, & have been dealing with some joint issues for the past year or thereabouts.Recently however I've been seriously considering taking it up, but only if I could find a yoga buddy. Enter my former flame.

I was dining with some friends at her place of employment when she casually mentioned she had recently started taking yoga classes & felt it would be good for me as well. I asked if she'd be willing to hold my hand- figuratively speaking of course, & let me sit in on a class with her. She said she'd think about it, although her expression reeked of NOT A CHANCE!

Well miracle of miracles, she called with an offer to keep me company at a class tomorrow morning at 9am. 9am??!!- on a Saturday morning??!! I guess I'll have to suck it up as I believe this is a ONE TIME only offer. I do appreciate her sympathy.

I'm not sure if I can do all the physicality's involved in yoga. I know I've got the breathing part down as I more or less do that on a regular basis. Contorting my body into a pretzel shape is a whole other ball game, besides if I'm gonna have anything to do with pretzels they're going to be covered in dark chocolate- YUM!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

If it's a beginning class, you should be fine. If it's an advanced class, that could be trouble.

Thomas Phillip said...

9am?! geewizz

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Looks like I'm gonna find out da hard way Cate! :-{

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Amen-DB-Amen!

Zany said...

I have never tried the breathing bit that makes me nervous. I prefer Pilates, though.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Z- I never breathed so hard in my life doing absolutely NOTHING! ;^)

Wandering Appalachian said...

I do my yoga at home--less embarrassing that way. I've been doing it for 9 years, and I still can't do a downward dog.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Yoga at home sounds preferable Gwennie, however if left to my own devices, it'll never happen. I need someone yelling at me like a drill sgt. to motivate me, but I think yoga is supposed to be serene.

Downward dog?! I can't even do upward dog, let alone walk the dog.

How does marriage feel?

vixen kitten said...

To calm the racing mind you want meditation.

I laughed when someone suggested it for me years ago. After the first time it became my favorite kind of drug.

Yes, I'll hold your hand the first time *smile*

xoxo
~vk~

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I found you again VK! You're EVERYWHERE! Be careful or you'll get a rep here at FLAST, & you don't want that as this is one tough crowd- let me tell ya!

Wait, you'll hold my whaaat?....