Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Doll!

Being a HUGE pop culture junkie I thought it appropriate to report the following, especially considering most of FLAST's readership appears to be women- God bless 'em!

Although I don't condone men playing with dolls, (unless they're life sized) if that's what your into, so be it. After all, men & boys have been playing playing with "large sized articulated action figures" for years. There was GI Joe of the 60's & 70's, as well as Captain Action who you could change into other super heroes by buying uniform accessory sets sold separately.

As some of you may or may not be aware, yesterday was Barbies 50th birthday & they threw a big bash for her in NYC where she originated. Debuting on March 9, 1959 she took the toy world by storm selling 300,000 units her first year at $3.00 each. Fifty years later she's still arguably the most popular doll in the world.

Her epic on & off relationship with Ken (Male version of Barbie) is the stuff of tabloid legend. Their affair began in 1961, when Barb was already an established celeb & Ken's star was just beginning to rise. The famed couple split 43 years later on Valentines Day 2004, when Barbie kicked him to da curb.

The true reason for this split has never surfaced although throughout the years there's been rampant rumors & speculation of wild secretive trysts and substance abuse. Only Barbie knows for sure. Ken was served with a judicial gag order, but there have recent rumors of a tell-all book with a triple digit advance by an as of yet unknown publishing house.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think my favorite Barbie doll is Barbie as Lucy doing the vitameatavegimin commercial.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I'll never admit to this, but I may have some X-Files, Addams Family, Munsters related items in my collection, but I have NO idea what your talking about!

Unknown said...

Here's the clip of Lucille Ball doing the vitameatvegamin commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVfBRRm7RgI

And here's the Barbie doll made up to look like Lucy doing the commercial: http://www.amazon.com/Mattel-Vitameatavegamin-Collector-Commercial-Episode/dp/B000JGSEA8/ref=pd_sim_t_5

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Oh Cate- you make me feel all girly inside, BUT I'm a M-A-N dagnabbit! OK, I started this whole post & so I take full responsibility for my actions. Now pour me some more tea & hand over that yarn!

Thanks for the links Cate- you're sure swell, like Ovaltine!

Stefany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stefany said...

I meant to edit my comment ^

Any way, you didn't know about Lucy's commerical? Where she's drunk by the end of it?

Also, I've never been a huge fan of Barbie. I loved stuffed animals, though. Never was a fan of people ("they're the worst!" Seinfeld)

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I enjoy stuffed people.