Sunday, January 4, 2009

Former American Teen

This evening I was treated to a documentary titled-American Teen, courtesy of the fine folks at Netflix.

Five High School seniors in Warsaw Indiana are the focus of this documentary from filmmaker Nanette Burstein who followed and filmed a year in the life of these five chosen kids. Two females and three males. The popular "beauty queen", The female "rebel", the "band geek/nerd", the "popular jock", and the "prom king". I definitely felt I related most to the "rebel" and the "nerd", although I saw a bit of myself in all of them.

I had heard very good things about this film and it was apparently quite popular at Sundance. I really had no idea what to expect. I'm surly not interested in the lives of teens. Been there-done that. As the film began I initially thought I had rented the wrong flick. It seemed much too polished and slick to be a documentary. Were these actors, or real kids? The director "auditioned" many kids, choosing what I guess she felt would be the most interesting subjects. Most of us are aware when there is a camera filming- rarely is it actually "reality". There is really no such thing as "reality TV" in my opinion. How many people are them true selves when in front of a camera, still photographs not withstanding.

I think the director was attempting to make this documentary accessible to most people, Especially those that tend to shun documentaries. The film is definitely slick with some segments (albeit very interesting) that almost seem to fictionalize the subjects. 

I'm glad I gave it a chance. The more I watched, the more I enjoyed it. I was able to identify with each subject if even in a small way. In high school I was a little bit of everything. Although I graduated in 1981 (yikes!) some things about growing up and high school don't seem to change much, at least basically. Kids can be cruel. The high school years can be crueler. This is a time when most kids are trying to find and develop an identity whether they're conscience of it or not. It's an EXTREMELY stressful time! Look at the zits on the faces of some of these kids for craps sake! 

At the time I thought I "hated" school. Looking back it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, but I also was not as (supremely) aware as I am now. I was a slow learner and had some definite learning disabilities on top of my misunderstood (by myself & others) ADHD. I was in a special program/classes for those like myself, and there was quite a bit of verbal/emotional abuse from the "normal" kids. I persevered! I made it! I've had a good career and I'm pretty damn proud of myself. With the initial road I was headed down I could have turned out much worse. Thanks mom! For a single mom you did your best, and your best was good enough for me. I love you and miss you very much! 

I was one of those "latchkey kids". I'm surprised I didn't burn the house down or go to jail. I'm sure there's many others who are just as surprised.


2 comments:

Stefany said...

Ugh, I wish to leave the high school years as well. Even though I just graduated in June...

I don't know what "group" I was in. Not really a rebel or trouble maker (besides in my house... I'm the trickster. The loudest one, yada yada yada). Not a nerd either. Although one of my friends (who is very, VERY dull) was in marching band. The nerd.

I was the quiet one. The artsy one. Not loud at all. Decent student. Liked English class and Fine Art. I was just kind of... there.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I know how you feel about teens & how your above it all! Get off your high horse & check this doc out. I actually think you'll like it!

You may have been there Miss Stefany, but now you're here!