Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gone Swimin'!

This Sunday's the BIG day for sports fans- specifically football fans. Obviously I'm talkin' 'bout the Super Bowl (Go Jets!). I myself am not such a big sports fan of any kind, but if I had to pick a sport, football would be first, closely followed by volleyball. As far as bowls are concerned, I'd much prefer a cereal bowl chock full o' sugary goodness!

This particular event is a gamblers dream, however I usually don't indulge my vices when it comes to illicit gambling. My vices have always been coffee and the wrong kind of woman! Occasionally I'll indulge myself in a lottery ticket or two, or four, when the stakes are high and I'm feelin' low.

At work I was approached by a shady employee who wanted to know "if I wanted in" to their Super Bowl pool. I have a fear of drowning, but he persisted and waved (get it?- it's not funny if I have to explain) lots of ca$h in my face. Times are tough, so I eventually caved. I asked how much to throw in. He said $500 big ones. I said, "how much really?" He responded in part, $500 smackers.

As I had recently been paid, and only carry big bills to flash to impress the ladies, I slowly peeled five, one hundred dollar bills off my roll. Feeling a bit stupid and naive, I actually had to ask who was playing as I haven't really been following the teams. He informed me that it was the Yankees vs. the Steelers. Being a Tri-State area guy, I hadda go with the Yanks. I handed over my rarely hard earned cash which he promptly pocketed and then walked away at a brisk pace. Whatever, he probably had to go to the bathroom.

So now I'm waitin' for Sunday, and feelin' the luck o' the Croatians. I feel good. I think I'm gonna win this one, and because my loyal readers have been so supportive of this blog, we're all gonna reap the benefits! If, no when, I win, I'll be takin' you all out for a steak (except you vegetarians) dinner. Hell, I'll even throw in some booze and dessert!

Come on, EVERYBODY in da pool! Swimwear required. Floaties available upon request.

8 comments:

Stefany said...

The Yankees... That was meant to be some kind of pun, right? You DO mean the Arizona Cardinals... Or are you THAT hopeless when it comes to sports...?

Any way, I am NOT rooting for the Stealers. Cleveland hates them, of course.

Go Brownies!

P.S. The Boss will be singing during half-time! Wasn't last year Tom Petty (or was that the year before...)

Stefany said...

P.P.S. WHY DID YOU JUST THROW YOUR MONEY AWAY! You agreed on the bet and didn't even know who was playing! Why, oh, why, oh, why.

Oh, I forgot. You're the one who buys VERY expensive eye-wear.

Tisk, tisk.

I have decided that you are not who you say you are...
You're a drug-lord.

tia-juana said...

$500!!

How does this pool work? what are your odds? ugh, that's a lot of money.
Could I have $500?

LittleIsis said...

If I cared about football, I would root for the Stealers just to make my family mad.
However, if I were to pick one sport to really follow and get into, it would be baseball.
I have loved baseball ever since I was a kid, but haven't followed it recently...
maybe I should?

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Stef- I'd like to think I'm not THAT hopeless. Perhaps I am, but of course I am NOT! ;^)

I love brownies! Crunchy on the outside, but chewy on the inside. YUM!- NO nuts. I'm plenty!

May just watch the 1/2 time show. Petty ROCKED!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

I didn't THROW my money away. I gave it away.

& no I am NOT a drug lord- I am a lord of drugs. Does St. Joseph's baby aspirin count?

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Sure you can have $500 dollars Tia, but NOT from me. My suggestion would be to find the nearest ATM.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Ah, sweet LI- If you haven't followed it since you were a kid, why start now? Find a person that you like & follow them around, however stay out of the bad neighborhoods! Ohio's lousy w/'em. Jus kiddin'- that was just to rattle Stefs cage. ;-)