Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hooray for Hollywood!

OMG- I did it! I took the plunge. I just clicked "finish order and purchase now" for a Panasonic DVX100B. A "prosumer" Mini-DV camcorder that cost a LOT of cashola. I'm a little stressed because it's a pretty costly and unnecessary item, much like most of the things I've been purchasing lately. 

When I was younger it was a dream of mine to become a famous filmmaker. In fact most of the people (including teachers) who signed my yearbook made reference to this. After high school I was to attend The School of Visual Arts in NYC. Alas, I feared for a safe and stable future and sadly put the kibosh on my dream. To any of you reading- DON'T EVER, EVER DO THAT!

When I was a kid, my friends and I would make little silent Super 8 films using my pops' camera. A few years later and older, I joined a group of young filmmakers that made 16mm films that weren't too bad nor too good. I'll probably be retiring soon as I've almost completed 25 years of my career, and that's when most abandon ship. I'll have a second chance. I'll get to revisit my dream. How many people do you know like that? I feel pretty damn lucky, blessed, whatever!

I heard the learning curve for these camcorders is a bit difficult and daunting, so my fear is getting discouraged too quickly. I've talked to a couple of filmmakers who will hopefully give me a few pointers. I should receive it within a week. Now the problem is accessories. I'll need a tripod, case, light, etc., etc. It goes on and on and on.

I think I'm done with the major purchases for now as it's one of my New Years destitution's to save a bit. Oh snap, I forgot, I need a new desk for my new computer..........aw fer craps sake!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep, been there, done that. I had a wild idea when I got out of college that I'd eventually be a photographer for National Geographic, and would bide my time in the meantime by being a newspaper photographer. It took just one photo editor at a newspaper telling me he didn't think much of my photos to squash that one.

The only thing salvaged from that sad wreckage was that he looked through my string book at my published articles and told me I should think about being a writer, and that was the beginning of my writing career. Hey, I could eventually WRITE for NG maybe.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Sorry your photo gig didn't pan out. Do you still take photographs?

Cate- Don't wait for "eventually"- get started on that NG thing NOW! :-)

sophster said...

keyon is @ kenyon college in gambier, ohio. they have a writing workshop for adults, too, so you could definitely do that.

also, i have nooo idea how to link profiles or whatever. definitely not the person to ask hahaha. i guess you could "follow" me but i don't think that's the same thing.

and my real name is sophi. "flightless bird" was something a picked because one of my all-time fave songs is "flightless bird, american mouth" by iron & wine. that song gets me every time. if you haven't listened to it, you should. heart-breaking but also soothing. perfect combo.

and the guy in the picture is flipping me "the bird" because when i was at the beach and asked him if i could take his picture for my portrait assignment i told him he could pose however he wanted, and he asked me "anything i want to do? can i give you the middle finger? that would be funny." thus, the flipped bird. i love that he did that though. and i wa so lucky to ge the shot because i was taking pics on film (pentax) and only had time to take one pciture of him and it turned out perfect. in the fiber print you can really see it clearly, and his hand is in the sharpest focus, so it's really neat that way.

by the way, new years resolutions are crap, i didn't even bother making one this year. if you really want to do something you should make a resolution whenever, haha, not just new year.

Stefany said...

"WTF", "OMG", "oh snap"

I don't even use such lingo. I think that documentary is getting to you...

ANYWAY, that is great that your going back to film! I have no clue what to do for my career. AT ALL. That is why I was so miserable yesterday... I have too many interests. And none of them are alike...

C. Louis Wolfe said...

HI Sophi-short for Sophia? Thanks for all the comments from you & my other "blogger cronnies!" It makes me feel like I'm not doing this for nothing or just for me.

You appear to be quite the intellegent young lady. It's an honor to have you here. Smart girls are ALWAYS welcome! :-)

Following you sounds fun, but it would probably involve the authorities & your dad, although in a few years you & Stef can push me around in my wheelchair & if your bored, you can empty my bed pan-GROSS!

As for resolutions-as a result of my resolutions, I resolve not to make any!

C. Louis Wolfe said...

What's the matter Stefany? Yo wazzup?! Can't a guy shizzle in his hizzle?!

sophster said...

short for sophia, yes. but no one calls me sophia.

thanks for saying i'm smart, i am the "wise one," after all, it would be a shame if i betrayed my name ;)

and it's just a blog, following is no big deal.

by the way if you're interested in the kenyon thing, look up "the kenyon review' and you should find a link.