Friday, January 23, 2009

The Nominees Are...

BEST PICTURE
-"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
-"Frost/Nixon"
-"Milk"
-"The Reader"
-"Slumdog Millionare"

*Prediction- "Slumdog Millionare"*


BEST DIRECTOR
-Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionare"
-David Fincher, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
-Ron Howard, "Frost/Nixon"
-Stephen Daldry, "The Reader"
-Gus Van Sant, "Milk"

*Prediction- Danny Boyle*


BEST ACTOR
Richard Jenkins, "The Visitor"
Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon"
Sean Penn, "Milk"
Brad Pitt, "Benjamin Button"
Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler"

*Prediction- Sean Penn or Mickey Rourke*
*Wish- Richard Jenkins*

BEST ACTRESS
Anne Hathaway (Jersey girl), "Rachel Getting Married"
Angelina Jolie, "Changeling"
Melissa Leo, "Frozen River"
Meryl Streep, "Doubt"
Kate Winslet, "The Reader"

*Prediction- Meryl Streep or Kate Winslet*


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Josh Brolin, "Milk"
Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"
Robert Downey Jr., "Tropic Thunder"
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Doubt"  (he won already so I doubt it)
Michael Shannon, "Revolutionary Road"

*Prediction- Heath Ledger or Michael Shannon*


BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams, "Doubt"
Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
Viola Davis, "Doubt"
Taraji P. Henson, "Benjamin Button"
Marisa Tomei, "The Wrestler"

*Prediction- Penelope Cruz or Viola Davis*


Unfortunately, I've seen very few of these films, although I've heard much about them. If having seen them all, I'd obviously be much more confident in my predictions. It seems to me the Academy Awards tend to be political. Rarely does a genre film get nominated, let alone a win, and it seems rare that an actor will win another award if they've won previously, but what in tar nation do I know.

Being a HUGE Batman fan it was nice to see "The Dark Knight" receive 7 nods, despite a bit of controversy, especially in regards to the late Mr. Ledger. The film received the following nominations;

- Best Supporting Actor, Heath Ledger
- Art Direction
- Cinematography
-Editing
- Make Up
-Sound Editing & Mixing
-Visual Effects

Some fan boys got bent out of shape because the film didn't receive a BEST PICTURE or BEST DIRECTOR nomination. As much as I love Batman and enjoyed The Dark Knight, I felt it didn't deserve best picture. I'm not even sure if Nolan, as talented as he is, deserves best director.

I can't wait for the awards show. Despite it's tendency to drag a bit, along with some lame sketches, etc., I still enjoy it. It's kinda like my Super Bowl.


2 comments:

Stefany said...

No best actor nod for Leo or Kate? I could have swore there was...

Hmmm, maybe I'll see Revolutionary Road this week...

Are you watching the SAG awards tonight? Love the award season... And I always tell my brother that the Academy Awards is (are?) my super bowl.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Missed the SAG's unless of course your talkin' 'bout my bod. If you see RR let me know how it was.

MY Super Bowl-Mine, Mine, Mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!