Friday, October 24, 2008

Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter

Do you hear that?

That's the sound of my teeth dramatically smashing together in a rapid up and down motion- Burrrrrrr! Baby it's cold outside. Unless my Radio Shack thermometer is inaccurate, it was digitally displaying a reading of 29 degrees this sorta fine morn. By the time I left to go to work about an hour later it was a scorching 34! As if that weren't enough, apparently my automatic car starter is 10-7. That's cop speak for broken. As my mother used to say; "It's as cold as a witches tit on Halloween!"

Last night was geriatric band rehearsal. By the time the dudes arrived I was ready for bed. Being the trooper that I am, I sucked it up and walked it off. Things didn't start out well. We were trying out a new tune; Tom Petty's You Wreak Me, when my arm cramped up. This hasn't happened since that last big Stone Pony gig many years hence in Asbury Park. Birthplace to Springsteen's rockin' career. That was a decent sized gig, and just when we were into the second tune, my right arm cramped up! I suffered a mild panic attack as I was barely able to hold the drum stick, but I got through it, fleeing the scene shortly thereafter in disgust.

Thank God this occurrence was at practice at the ol' crypt (not crib as in MTV). We warmed up with an easier tune which worked out much better for me and my lame arm. I thought I was stroking out there for a minute. Not good. Practice seemed to go much more smoothly after that. We had some surprise unexpected minor celebrity visitors arrive. First it was "Pajamas" and "Finsta Baby", the latter being one of the band members one and only sibling. They were kind enough to nod their heads in time to the music in mock appreciation.

No sooner had we kicked into Orbison's Pretty Woman, when RJW flew into the room like a whirling dervish, dancing up and down, and all around like a crazed crack addict in rehab! As quickly as she arrived, she was 10-8. That's cop speak for back in service or roughly translated, I'm outta here. She came and went so abruptly, I had to consult with those present just to be sure she was really there or a figment of my over the top imagination. She was like a UFO buzzing Area 51!

All the visitors were a most welcome as I can only look at the same four walls and band members for so long.

I'm 10-8 Headquarters. I'll be on a 63!

No comments: