Thursday, October 9, 2008

Life on Mars

I tend to stay away from "cop shows", however I do enjoy "real life" procedural shows such as The Next 48 Hours, and forensic science type shows. I'm fascinated in the ways that law enforcement can solve crimes outside the norm.

I've been reading about a new ABC TV series; Life on Mars that debuts tonight. It's been receiving some positive reviews. Apparently the premise is a police detective is struck by a car (sounds dumb & contrived) and arrives very confused in NYC circa 1973. This show is based is on a British TV series that was short lived.

It's got a good cast. Harvey Keitel (AA winner?), Gretchen Mol and Michael Imperioli. The latter of Soprano's fame. I think I'm the only one that wasn't a fan of that show. So wack me. I'm not familiar with the rest of the cast, including the lead actor. I understand the locations, as well as the costumes etc. are convincingly accurate much like Mad Men which is in it's second season. Of course if you were not yet born, nor lived in NYC in that time period it all becomes moot. And that's a word I really dislike, but I included it to torture myself.

The confused detective, thrust back in time, is apparently stupefied and frustrated that there are no cell phones, computers, or current technology of any kind. Sounds very interesting and entertaining. Of course due to my non TV watching habits, it looks like it'll be about a year before it's released on DVD. Then again, if it's a good show, it may not even make it through it's first season.

If anyone (ANYONE at all) is reading this and has seen the show, please leave a comment about it. Thanks. I'll be 10-8 HQ's!

2 comments:

Stefany said...

I'm looking forward to it, too! I also want to see that show, My Own Worst Enemy with Christian Slater (I like him...).

By the way, I DID watch Pushing Daisies! I recorded last nights episode (with the circus) that I'm looking forward to! I thought the bee episode from last week was a bit too much. And I didn't like how the aunts are coming out of the house... I also want to see more Ned and Chuck together.

C. Louis Wolfe said...

Stef-

Doll, lambchop, sweet girl. Thanks for FINALLY getting back to me on PD! However I think you gave some minor spoilers up. You must be more cryptic dear.

If Chuck & Ned get together too quickly, the show's over! Kinda like Mulder & Scully. People like that relationship tension. At least for a little while. Hard to pull off a balance.